Saturday, April 28, 2007

Loosing Dear Friends

Sometimes, we loose touch with dear friends. It is a sad fact of living in a time of the world when people move about more than they used to. We form fast friendships that withstand the test of time, though only meeting through the odd card or visit as the years pass. Today, I found out that I lost just such a dear friends. They left about this time last year, and I just now found out about it. The usual Christmas and birthday cards were sent. I never thought much of the fact that I did not receive one from them, as sometimes we missed a year or two, but eventually, would think of each other and send a letter or card, again or phone or even drop in for a visit.

The family I am refering to are the Hill's; Larry, Maureen, Rebecca, and Greg. Rebecca telephoned me tonight to inform me that both of her parents had passed away. Maureen was in the middle of chemo-therapy when they moved to Devlin; what seems like an awful lot of years ago, now. I remember meeting her. She had a bandana on and told me that she had lost her hair. With that said, she whipped off the scarf and showed me. It is her sense of humour that attracted me to her. Nothing seemed to rattle her to the point where she lost that sense of humour.

Maureen succumbed to cancer on May 23, 2006. A few short weeks later, Larry was killed in an accident. His motorcycle was hit by a pickup truck. (the man was charged)

In such a short time, Rebecca and Greg lost both of their parents. No wonder it took her a year to finally be able to call me and let me know. She told me that she had only called a few people. She just could not handle saying the words, "both of my parents are dead." How I remember the difficulty of just breathing in and out when my own parents died, and I had a few years between the losses.

My heart is quite broken over it. Maureen and Larry were very special people, and very special to me. Most especially, Maureen. Since she had cancer when I met her, and for the few years they lived nearby, we shared a lot about our fears, desires, faith, and joys; she has always stood, for me, the perfect example of courage. She never complained, even though I knew she had some very ill and painful days. She just took each day and rejoiced in the gift of it.

Even talking of her now, I can see her radiant smile and hear her laughter.

It all reminds me of how very precious the people in my life are, and how very fragile life really is. My life is much richer because of the blessing of this family in my life. Both Larry and Maureen will live on in my heart. The memory of their loving, teasing relationship will always bring a smile to my lips and a tear to my eye, as I will miss knowing that they are there, with a room, when I am travelling in their direction.

As I sat in my office, and finally let the tears flow, I was taken by a thought of complete joy; Those two loved each other, like no other couple I have ever met. What awesome grace that they did not have to wait long to be together again. Larry always seemed like he would be quite lost without Maureen as his anchor. Maureen always told me that Larry always gave her a reason to smile. So, while I am selfishly mourning them, I am also rejoicing in the thought that they are together. No doubt, Larry has a few jokes to play on the folks in Heaven, and is bringing a smile to many a celestial lip.

So, in closing this note, I want to remind you of how very fragile life is. How very short your time may be to let those around you know how much you love them. How very little time we have to "get our house in order" and how very important it is to keep it that way. Live each day as if it will be your last. Don't let an opportunity to love, help, or improve pass you by.

Love on you all, Jude

No comments: