Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Pain Relief

Another restless night with sleep broken by muscle cramps in my legs and arms; by morning, my body has finally found a comfortable position—just in time to get up. At times, I am sorely tempted to despair. I lie in bed, not wanting to move, because I know that the simple act of getting out of bed will cause increased discomfort. It usually takes a good hour before I can move without pain. By then, my meds have kicked in, and my muscles have limbered up a bit.

As I lie there, trying to will the night to come back, a voice pops into my head. The voice is that of a speaker who has faced and is facing a far more physical burden than I am.

When I get to heaven I’m going to have a brand new body. I’m not going to walk with a limp; I’m not going to talk funny anymore; I’m going to walk and talk like Jesus. If you don’t like the way I am, hang in there. I’m still in the oven. God’s still in the kitchen. God’s still cooking on me; And when God gets finished cooking on me, God’s going to pull me out of the oven and God’s going to say, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant.”’

David Ring http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPQOzwaD_hk&NR=1 was born with Cerebral Palsy. He was raised in an environment of abuse, which lasted up until adulthood. He is one of the most inspiring speakers that I have ever heard.

His voice in my head reminds me that this body, which is so uncomfortable, is just a temporary dwelling place. With that reminder, I am once again, lifted beyond the present and moved to begin my day with the glorious hope of a better tomorrow encouraging me onward.

Remember, dear ones, this life and its toils are just fleeting in comparison with an everlasting promise of Heaven. When I focus on Him, I forget myself…pain and all.
What a day that will be, when my Jesus I shall see…What a day, what a day, that will be.

No comments: